- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ a bunch of fresh basil
- 2 aubergines
- 4-6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 x 400 g tin of quality chopped tomatoes
- 500 g dried rigatoni
- 80 g ricotta cheese
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. Pick the basil leaves and finely chop the stalks. Trim and cut the aubergine into 2cm slices.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan and sweat the onion, garlic and basil stalks for 7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, season well and bring to a steady simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the aubergine in the remaining oil until golden, then stir into the tomato sauce with most of the basil leaves.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, drain, then stir through the sauce.
- Divide between plates and crumble over some ricotta and scatter over the reserved basil leaves before serving.